PSPgo - Pearl White

Friday, December 18, 2009

PSPgo - Pearl White


PSPgo - Pearl White

By Christian Bullock (Portland, OR) - reviews






This review is from: PSPgo - Piano Black (Video Game)


The PSPgo is an interesting device. It would appear to many that this hardware revision seems to have taken one step forward (sleeker design, bluetooth capability, built-in memory) and two steps back (no UMD drive, price, purchases tied to the PSN Store). I'm here to say: I love my PSPgo.

First, a little bit of my background: I was an original adopter of the PSP-1000 system. I love the PSP platform and feel as though the hardware itself as well as many of the platform's games are severely unappreciated.

I want to provide some commentary for what kind of customers might be looking into purchasing a PSPgo:

1) The Gadget Geek

It's obvious, even from the customer images and official product images, that the PSPgo is one slimmed-down, sexy device. If you're into gadgets, the PSPgo will not disappoint: this is a much more portable, sleeker device than the PSP 1000 / 3000 systems. This handheld will fit where the old PSPs won't, that's for sure. The sliding-open of the controls is addicting; it mimics many of the cell phones that have this kind of mechanism.

2) Someone who is looking into purchasing their first PSP system

It's a tough call to truly recommend the PSPgo for those who are looking into purchasing this as their first PSP system. Personally, I would. Many probably wouldn't. As of right now, the PSN Store does not have all of the best PSP games available to download. However, they do have a fantastic current selection that includes Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee 2, LocoRoco 2 and more. As of today, they do not have several fantastic games on the PSN Store (Dissidia and Crisis Core, to name a couple). I can only assume, in time, these will be available.

The other consideration is buying used games at stores such as Gamestop. As a new PSP owner, you probably want to buy a lot of older games that you have yet to enjoy. These probably come in at fairly cheap used game prices at stores. If you have a PSPgo system, some of these prices are comparable; some are not.

If a first-time PSP owner does decide to purchase a PSPgo system, they don't want to worry about purchasing additional memory right out of the game, which is a nice little bonus.

3) Someone who currently owns a PSP 1000 / 3000

If you have the financial means, I think purchasing a PSPgo to compliment your PSP 1000 / 3000 system is a great idea. This is the kind of customer I am. I was able to use Amazon's video game trade-in program to knock the price down for the PSPgo system. I still have my PSP 1000 system around in case I want to play any of the games I have on UMD. And, not surprisingly (or maybe surprisingly for some), I have yet to have a hankering to go back and play any of the UMD games I own since owning a PSPgo. And I have some fantastic games on UMD that are not offered as a digital download currently on the PSN Store!

And I think this is where the PSPgo system gets a LOT of hate: the whole discussion about not being able to play any UMD games you may currently own. My thought on that is this: I think before owning a PSPgo, this might be a concern. But when you have one, you don't have a drive to play any of your UMD games. I have plenty to play in terms of PSX / PSP games I've already downloaded and have downloaded since owning the system. I don't know, maybe I'm just a special case or something.

Conclusion

I absolutely love my PSPgo: it's sexy, it's incredibly portable and I love having a whole smattering of games available right there on my system. The price may be a tad bit high, but if you can swing it, you'll love the PSPgo system. Since owning my PSPgo, I have not wanted to play any of my current UMD games on my old PSP system. There's a lot of currently released titles on the PSN Store to satisfy my needs.

0 comments

Post a Comment

Playstation Portable

Custom Search